Are you looking for probiotics-free yogurt? If so then you should consider homemade coconut yogurt. This is yogurt made of coconut meat instead of dairy yogurt. There’s no question that options like Greek yogurt are healthy. However, if you want to avoid the “friendly bacteria” found in dairy yogurt then coconut is a good substitute since it provides a similar taste and texture as dairy yogurt. Consider that coconut milk, cream, and cream of coconut are all quite similar to dairy products. So if you want similar taste, texture, and nutrients then this is a practical Plan B.
In recent years probiotics have been trending. Yogurt, sauerkraut, and apple cider vinegar (ACV) have been around for a while. However, in recent years many consumers have been looking for other sources of probiotics, which has resulted in probiotic foods/drinks trending in recent years. Today you can find a wide range of options at health stores, recipe websites, and other sources. This allows you to try out new probiotics foods since there are so many to pick from. As the saying goes, variety is the spice of life. It’s all about picking the best recipes to enjoy whether it’s a drink or food.
What’s the Deal with Coconut?
This is a superfood that’s been trending in recent years. There are several key health benefits from this tropical food. Fun Fact: A coconut can be classified as a nut, seed, or fruit if you use a general definition.
The coconut tree is one of the most versatile sources for humans. Just about every part can be used for food, drink, or even cleaning. There’s coconut water that’s high in electrolytes. Another good option is coconut meat, which can be made into different products like milk and cream. Even the husk can be used for various purposes like a natural mop.
Coconut oil is yet another key product of the coconut tree. It’s used for a wide range of purposes. For example, coconut oil is one of the ingredients in “bulletproof coffee” that also includes brewed coffee and butter. This drink has been trending in recent years and has become one of the most popular varieties for preparing a cup of java.
Coconut is also high in various nutrients. This includes protein, healthy fat, and vitamins/minerals. It’s high in omega-3 fatty acids, which is a healthy fat that can provide various health benefits for skin, heart, brain, etc. There’s also a particular type of omega-3 known as MCT, which is also high in other foods like dairy products.
The healthy fat in coconut oil, milk, and cream has made it a popular ingredient for low-carb diets like Keto Ultra and Atkins. That’s because it’s high in healthy fat versus unhealthy fat like trans-fat. You can even use products like coconut flour as a low-carb alternative to wheat flour.
Another option is to use coconut meat to make “yogurt.” This is a non-dairy variety that provides a similar taste/texture as the original version. Another difference is it doesn’t contain any “friendly” bacteria known as probiotics, which could be unfriendly for people with certain health conditions.
How to Make Homemade Coconut Yogurt
You’ll need these ingredients:
- Coconut Milk (2 14-oz. cans)
- Sugar Agar Flakes (2 tsp) or Tapioca Starch (2 TBSP)
- Coconut Yogurt (4 TBSP)
- Raw Sugar/Maple Syrup (2 TBSP)
Raw sugar or maple syrup are options. If you’re on a low-carb diet in particular you should avoid adding these ingredients since sugars are carbs.
- Warm up the oven and sterilize jars. Warm up the oven for around 5 minutes until it reaches around 100 °F. Then switch off the heat. Leave the light on so the oven stays warm.
- Fill up the jars that will store the yogurt using boiling water in order to sterilize them. Allow them to stand for a couple of minutes. Next, pour water out. You can also put the jars in the dishwasher for a cycle.
- Pour coconut milk into a saucepan. Then shake coconut milk can. Next, open it up and pour the contents into a medium pot. Afterward, whisk until the milk gets smooth/uniform consistency.
- Add thickener. In this case, you’re using agar then sprinkle the agar flakes into the pot and over coconut milk. Make sure not to do any stirring.
- Meanwhile, if you’re using the tapioca starch then scoop out around 1/3 cup coconut milk. Then transfer to a separate bowl with starch. Next, whisk everything until starch is completely dissolved. Next, pour everything back into the pot.
- Warm up the coconut milk. Put the pan on the stove over medium heat. Warm-up until coconut milk begins simmering. The agar will start melting. Then whisk up the milk and reduce heat to low.
- Keep cooking at low temperature and whisk now and then for 56 min. to 10 min. Do this until agar flakes become 100% dissolved or tapioca starch thickens up the mixture.
- Cool milk until it’s slightly warm to the touch.
- Add coconut yogurt. This should be 4 TBSP of store-bought yogurt. Add sugar/maple syrup. These ingredients are optional. Afterward, whisk up everything well.
- Pour the yogurt into jars and let sit for 12-24 hours. Place in jars and screw lid on. Put in oven and switch to “environment warm.” You can also use a yogurt maker as a Plan B.
- Chill yogurt. Put set yogurt in the refrigerator then chill for 6+ hours. This yogurt will thicken as it cools. Afterward, the mixture might have separated. Stir to make the yogurt more uniform.
- Keep the coconut yogurt in the fridge and use it for the next 2 weeks.
Top Side-Effects of Probiotics
Probiotics might cause people to experience higher levels of histamines. This happens when the immune system is activated after detecting an outside threat. This can cause various symptoms like runny nose, sneezing, and swelling. It’s another side-effect to watch out for.
Some people are at a greater risk of infection if they consume probiotics.
This is a common symptom of many health issues. However, if you experience it after eating yogurt, miso soup, kimchi, etc. then there’s a chance you might have a probiotic allergy. It’s important to watch for multiple symptoms though since a headache can be caused by 101 things.
Some people experience digestion issues like bloating when consuming probiotics. This can be tough to deal with. A related issue is some people might get very thirsty. Health experts aren’t sure why some people get these side-effects. However, it’s important to watch out for them so you can know if you should learn how to homemade coconut yogurt.